The Rev. Graham K. Brownmiller, Lead Minister
I was called to serve the amalgamated community of Jubilee United Church upon its inception, January, 2017. Prior to this call, I served as the Minister at West Burnaby United Church, at Queens Avenue United Church, and in the North Thompson Pastoral Charge (Barriere and Clearwater).
I was Ordained by The United Church of Canada (on God’s behalf) in May 2009 after completing my M.Div. studies at the Vancouver School of Theology. I came to Jubilee with years of experience in Youth and Young Adult Ministry and wider church experience; I served the Executive of the General Council from 2012 – 2018 and valued every moment of connection with colleagues across the country. Between 1995 and 2018 I also served a variety of times on the BC Conference Executive (14 years in total) and worked at the Conference Office in a variety of roles.
I believe that everyone is welcome in the church, regardless of culture, race, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, level of belief, self-understanding of good and bad choices, economic status, or whatever else people seem to find that keep them from a personal relationship with the Source of all being – that which I call God.
Who I am as Minister:
- I am committed to serving in ministry as faithfully as possible.
- I love deep, authentic, mutual relationships.
- I respect my elders and continue to learn from them.
- Children, youth and adults have a place in every aspect of our church life. I expect children to be children, noise and all.
- I am passionate about my faith and respectful of those who believe differently.
- I try to honour the past while working to move the church into a new future.
- I try to keep the best interest of the church in mind when I make decisions.
- I love both community and one-on-one interaction.
- I am honoured to witness people’s stories and to the presence of God’s grace through authentic relationships.
- I encourage people to connect with me, with each other and with God in ways that are safe and comfortable for them.
- I am casual even in my dress except for when it is necessary to be more formal.
- I wear a clergy collar at times to remind me that I am called and appointed to the role in which I serve.
- I may not appear to be so but I am shy. Though I am boisterous, I carry wounds from my past as do many others.
- I love to have fun! I have a good sense of humour, and parents love me!
- I am sometimes outspoken to the point of being stubborn. When challenged I can respond defensively. I strive to accept the challenge of replacing those moments of defensiveness with empathetic expressions of God’s grace.
- I am human. I sometimes fail. I sometimes get hurt. I sometimes say things that I shouldn’t. I am forgiving and seek forgiveness.
- I am a beloved child of God along with all others. I love the disparate, confused, messed up, broken and sometimes joyful, children of God who make up communities of faith.
- I would love to know more about you.
Contact me via email or telephone 778-791-1864
Gabrielle McLarty, Community Life Minister
Gabrielle joined the Jubilee United Church team on July 1, 2022. A profile will be coming soon. You can reach Gabrielle at firstname.lastname@example.org